Wednesday, July 4, 2007

10 things about Cuban, Yi, Baby, Wallace and more

1) Mark Cuban is suing Don Nelson for utilizing "inside information" which Nelly used to defend Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs. Sheesh, this cracks me up. I fear we have irreversibly become from top to bottom, a society of weiners. Seeing that lawsuits like this are not laughed out of existence before they even reach the courts, we might as well take the red, white and blue off the flag and replace it with a hot dog.

Will the Mavericks' owner next seek compensation from Fidel Castro for turning the name "Cuban" into an adjective?


2) Remember when Steve Francis and Keith Van Horn both forced themselves away from the teams that drafted them— only to become disappointments as pros? Now there's Yi. What a strange situation. You'd expect tensions between China and Russia or China and North Korea on occasion, but I never thought we'd witness an international incident between China and Milwaukee. I hope the two nations resolve their hostilities one way or the other without conflict. I'd hate for us to have to choose between our Chinese friends and our Milwaukee friends.

3) Big Baby was on with Gary Tanguay and Greg Dickerson, and looks almost thin! Really. He doesn't even look power forward sized anymore. I love his footwork though. If the lost weight translates to greater explosiveness, he might find a comfortable place in the rotation. (I'm now even wondering if he's too small...)

4) I have the following questions which I'd love A REAL answer to. How is Perk's foot, Tony's knee, and Ray Allen's ankles? I know Ray's ankles are "perfect," but seeing that he's on a "slow track" to getting back to playing, how does anyone ACTUALLY KNOW that? I ask this seriously. And on Perkins— right now the way the roster is, he HAS to be healthy, bouncing around and able to play more than 30 minutes a game. There's just so little dependable height on this team.

...I know: another deal is coming, another deal is coming. Any day now it will happen. I'll wait for it. I'm patient. Any time now. It's coming.


5) And while I'm asking questions— Mr. Danny, what is it with you and Robert Swift? Is this a healthy relationship? I mean is Swift gonna need a restraining order?

6) Half the proposed trades I read suggest that the Celtics should add "their 2008 draft pick." Let me interrupt. The 2008 draft is very good. DON'T under any circumstances trade out of it. If anything try to get another 08 pick.

7) Kudos to FSN for showing all the Celtics summer league games live. Why didn't this happen before? They have NO OTHER programming. Does anyone actually watch poker on television? ANYONE? I don't understand why stations like FSN don't also show D league games when a prospect is sent down, and Euroleague games too. I'd watch those things. ...and I'm not watching Best Damn Anything either. Ever.

8) I kind of like Taurean Green who was taken by Portland along with about half the other players in the draft. I wonder if he'll even make their team. Does Paul Allen get to buy extra roster spots as well as extra draft picks?

9) Chris Wallace is in Memphis for ten days and now he's moving Gasol? Really? Does Chris actually seek out skinflint NBA owners (like Mr. Gaston) or are they just drawn to him?

10) I see the Celtics have decided not to hire anyone as of now to replace Wallace, Tony Brown, and Paul Pressey. That makes sense— you know the organization is a bit top heavy when cutting a percentage of the coaching staff actually increases seating capacity in the arena. Maybe Clifford Ray can finally get a deserved courtside seat.

2 comments:

MD said...

Was I the only one that felt really awkward when Ray Allen told the story of how Jim Calhoun brought his players to watch horses mate? From what I remember, he was talking about expanding his horizons and being introduced to culture. That's a stretch if I've ever heard one.

I saw Big Baby's interview too, I was wondering what all the hubbub regarding his weight was about.

As for Swift, my guess it involves an NBA Groupie, a box of wine, and Danny Ainge showing off his championship rings about 20 years ago.

Gant said...

Yes. When Ray Allen answered the question about his refined cultural taste, and he began saying Coach Calhoun took the UCONN team to... I expected the rest of the sentence would be- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, or maybe- The Clark Art Museum.

Instead he came out with that mating horses story. It seemed kind of Monty-Pythonish actually.